Our Favorite East Coast Resort
The Cloister at SEA ISLAND
At NextGreatTrip, we get a lot of questions about new and unique places for a special milestone birthday, a golf getaway for a group of 20 friends, or corporate retreats for a memorable team building experience.
Today we are featuring one of our favorite resorts on the East Coast, The Cloister, a luxury 5-Star resort in Sea Island, Georgia. Nestled on a quiet stretch of the Georgia coast halfway between Savannah and Jacksonville, we've provided a few reasons why we love Sea Island so much.
Reasons Why We Love Sea Island
It’s a great mix of southern charm and tradition in a great location with a plethora of activities for small or larger groups. Perfect for golf aficionados, an amazing spa, and a recent $250 million renovation make this one of the best places to get away in the U.S. See our list below of the reasons why we love Sea Island so much.
Best Activities for Groups at Sea Island
1. Golf - Sea Island is rated #4 out of the 75 Best Golf Resorts in the U.S. With three courses, including the Seaside Course, a links course that is has a stop on the PGA Tour’s Fedex Cup, it’s no wonder that Davis Love III calls this place home.
2. The Beach Club -This is the perfect place to enjoy the 5 miles of private beach whether kayaking, stand up paddle boarding, sailing, or lounging by one of the three incredible pools. Don’t forget about the 100 seat private movie theater that is available for groups.
3. Spa -The 65,000 square foot spa and fitness center, recently remodeled is state of the art. Indulge yourself in massages, take a yoga or spinning class, or enjoy a dip in the beautiful indoor pool.
4. The Shooting School - One of the first Skeet Clubs in the country, the Shooting School offers an incredibly fun group experience with private one hour lessons. Whether a beginner or an expert, you can have a great experience shooting clay pigeons with instruction from the Sea Island staff.
5. Fishing -The areas around Sea Island and St. Simons Island offer some of the best fishing on the East Coast. Whether you want to to fish the marshes in search of trout and redfish, stay near shore for tarpon, or look offshore for sailfish, the water surrounding Sea Island offers ample opportunities for sportsmen.
6. Sunset cruise on the Cloister Belle -Hop aboard the 71 foot beautifully restored vintage yacht, the Cloister Belle, for a sunset cruise alongside of the golden marshes that surround Sea Island.
7. Horseback Riding -Sea Island is home to an impressive equestrian program and provides the opportunity to enjoy coastal horseback riding with an expert guide.
8. Corporate Meeting Rooms -The resort offers 25,000 square-feet of flexible, high-tech event space overlooking the Georgia coastline. At Sea Island, you can use the meeting space for team building, executive retreats, and incentive programs during your stay.
When To Go
Summer is the peak season for Sea Island when the resort is full of families enjoying the Georgia Coast. We recommend going during the Spring and Fall. Both seasons are great times to go for private and corporate groups, when the resort is a bit more quiet and the temperatures are perfect.
A handful of commercial flights are available from Delta in Atlanta each day to the Brunswick Airport (BQK) and is approximately a 32 minute drive to the resort from there. Privately chartered flights can land at the St. Simons Island Airport, just a few minutes from the golf course and gates of Sea Island.
If you’re interested in taking a closer look at Sea Island or other destinations for a corporate retreat, sales incentive trip, or private group experience with friends, we’re happy to arrange a trip for you. Click here to learn more.
Questions? Interested in learning more about Sea Island?
Let us know by completing the form below and one of our travel experts will be in touch with you.
Photo Credit to: Sea Island Resort, Mercedes Benz and Devan Stuart